Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Man charged after transporting homemade explosives to 'blow up' Satanic Temple, prosecutors say -WealthRoots Academy
Rekubit-Man charged after transporting homemade explosives to 'blow up' Satanic Temple, prosecutors say
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:00:19
A 30-year-old man could Rekubitface years in prison for transporting homemade explosives from Michigan to Massachusetts to "blow up" a building dubbed The Satanic Temple last year, officials said.
Luke Isaac Terpstra is accused of also carrying firearms and ammunition across state lines in September 2023, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Western District of Michigan. The man is said to have built the devices, which he called "bombs," and later brought them to the site of the temple, which is located in Salem.
The Satanic Temple describes itself as a non-theistic organization that aims to uphold secularism and individual freedoms.
Prosecutors allege that in December, Terpstra of Grant, Michigan, told others he had explosive devices and intended to "blow up" the building. Earlier this year, he was found with materials to build the devices, including "a plastic container with coins attached to it and a piece of cannon fuse coming out of the lid; numerous metal carbon dioxide cartridges; PVC pipe; ammonium nitrate; and hobby fuses," prosecutors noted.
Explosion in Minnesota:Couple and a dog killed after mobile home explosion leaves 'large debris field'
Terpstra is facing multiple charges, prosecutors say
Terpstra is charged with illegally possessing a destructive device and transporting an explosive with the intent to kill, injure, or intimidate individuals or destroy a building, prosecutors announced.
If convicted, according to the release from the attorney's office, he could face up to a decade behind bars for each charge, be fined $250,000, and be expected to pay restitution to any victims.
"The charges announced today demonstrate my office's continued commitment to protecting our citizens from dangerous threats," U.S. Attorney Mark Totten said in a statement on Wednesday. "Building explosive devices and transporting them with the intent to injure civilians and damage property puts us all at risk and those who commit such crimes will be held accountable."
veryGood! (36)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Network political contributors have a long history. But are they more trouble than they’re worth?
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly higher after another set of Wall St records
- Maine lawmakers to consider late ‘red flag’ proposal after state’s deadliest shooting
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- For years she thought her son had died of an overdose. The police video changed all that
- Traffic deaths rise in U.S. cities despite billions spent to make streets safer
- Facebook News tab will soon be unavailable as Meta scales back news and political content
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Youngkin vetoes Virginia bills mandating minimum wage increase, establishing marijuana retail sales
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Are these killer whales actually two separate species? New research calls for distinction
- Conjoined Twins Brittany and Abby Hensel Respond to Loud Comments After Josh Bowling Wedding Reveal
- Man who escaped Hawaii jail and was struck by a vehicle dies from his injuries
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- 'Ernie Hudson doesn't age': Fans gush over 78-year-old 'Ghostbusters' star
- Is the stock market open or closed on Good Friday 2024? See full holiday schedule
- Here's how much you have to make to afford a starter home in the U.S.
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
ASTRO: Bitcoin has historically halved data
California supervisor who tried to get rid of Shasta County vote-counting machines survives recall
Baltimore bridge collapse puts the highly specialized role of ship’s pilot under the spotlight
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Appeals panel won’t order North Carolina Senate redistricting lines to be redrawn
This doctor is an expert in treating osteogenesis imperfecta. She also has it herself.
California supervisor who tried to get rid of Shasta County vote-counting machines survives recall