Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthRoots Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:20:31
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Week 3 NFL fantasy tight end rankings: Top TE streamers, starts
- Nikki Glaser Trolls Aaron Rodgers Over Family Feud and More at New York Jets Game
- Court takes ‘naked ballots’ case over Pennsylvania mail-in voting
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Man accused in shootings near homeless encampments in Minneapolis
- Were warning signs ignored? Things to know about this week’s testimony on the Titan sub disaster
- 11-year-old charged after police say suspicious device brought on school bus in Maine
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- A stranger said 'I like your fit' then posed for a photo. Turned out to be Harry Styles.
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- GM recalls 450,000 pickups, SUVs including Escalades: See if your vehicle is on list
- Did Lyle Menendez wear a hair piece? Why it came up in pivotal scene of Netflix's new 'Monsters' series
- Newly Blonde Kendall Jenner Reacts to Emma Chamberlain's Platinum Hair Transformation
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- It was unique debut season for 212 MLB players during pandemic-altered 2020
- Biden opens busy foreign policy stretch as anxious allies shift gaze to Trump, Harris
- Alleged Hezbollah financier pleads guilty to conspiracy charge
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Lindsay Lohan's Rare Photo With Husband Bader Shammas Is Sweeter Than Ice Cream
Florida deputy accidentally shoots and kills his girlfriend, officials say
Nikki Glaser Trolls Aaron Rodgers Over Family Feud and More at New York Jets Game
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Golden Bachelorette Contestant Gil Ramirez Faced Restraining Order Just Days Before Filming
South Carolina to execute Freddie Owens despite questions over guilt. What to know
Nikki Glaser Trolls Aaron Rodgers Over Family Feud and More at New York Jets Game