Current:Home > MyUS confirms role in identifying alleged terrorist plot for Taylor Swift shows -WealthRoots Academy
US confirms role in identifying alleged terrorist plot for Taylor Swift shows
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 13:57:42
U.S. officials have confirmed their role in identifying a suspected terrorist plot planned for a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna this weekend.
During a Friday briefing, White House National Security Communications Advisor John Kirby said the U.S. provided information to Austrian authorities, who have made several arrests in relation to the alleged foiled attack.
"We work closely with partners all over the world to monitor and disrupt threats," Kirby said. "And so as part of that work, the United States did share information with Austrian partners to enable the disruption of a threat to Taylor Swift's concerts there in Vienna."
Three people have been arrested in relation to the suspected terrorist plot. The suspects are an 18-year-old Iraqi national, a 19-year-old Austrian living in a town near the Hungarian border, and a 17-year-old boy who had been hired by a company that was to provide services to the Ernst Happel Stadium.
A 15-year-old was questioned by police about his possible role in the scheme. According to the Vienna-based Kurier newspaper, the 15-year-old was allowed to go home after being questioned as a witness and was not considered a suspect.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
What we know about the alleged terrorist plot planned for Taylor Swift's shows
On Wednesday, after Vienna Federal Ministry of the Interior officials confirmed arrests were made in relation to "planned attacks at major events," Swift's three planned shows at Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday were canceled "for everyone's safety," according to the Austrian shows' promoter.
Swift has yet to speak out on the alleged terrorist plot.
Austrian security officials said the 19-year-old suspect had been consuming Islamist propaganda and planned an attack on fans involving "bladed weapons as well as the construction of a bomb," according to a press release provided by the Vienna Federal Ministry of the Interior on Thursday.
During a search of his home, officials found "chemical substances, liquids, explosive and technical devices that could be used to manufacture explosives," said Franz Ruf, director general for public security. Bomb-making instructions and machetes were also found.
'Inspiring and healing':Thousands of fans flood Vienna streets to sing Taylor Swift hits
"He wanted to carry out an attack in the area outside the stadium, killing as many people as possible using the knives or even using the explosive devices he had made," according to national intelligence head Omar Haijawi-Pirchner.
The suspect, who had recently quit his job and said he had "big plans," swore allegiance to ISIS and fully confessed to the charges against him, officials said. Austrian authorities are not searching for any more suspects.
London's Metropolitan Police has confirmed Swift's five concerts at Wembley Stadium next week should not be impacted.
Contributing: Michael Collins and Brendan Morrow, USA TODAY; Rachel More and Miranda Murray, Reuters
veryGood! (8)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- COVID variant JN.1 now more than 90% of cases in U.S., CDC estimates
- NLRB says Dartmouth basketball players are school employees, setting stage for union vote
- Washington carjacking crime spree claims life of former Trump official
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Heidi Klum's Daughter Leni Embraces Her Acne With Makeup-Free Selfie
- Score Heart-Stopping Luxury Valentine’s Day Gift Deals from Michael Kors, Coach, and Kate Spade
- Connecticut remains No.1, while Kansas surges up the USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 'Vanderpump' star Ariana Madix sees 'Chicago' musical break record after Broadway debut
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Service has been restored to east Arkansas town that went without water for more than 2 weeks
- Food Network Star Duff Goldman Shares He Was Hit by Suspected Drunk Driver
- Better equipment and communications are among Maui police recommendations after Lahaina wildfire
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- 'The economy is different now': Parents pay grown-up kids' bills with retirement savings
- California could legalize psychedelic therapy after rejecting ‘magic mushroom’ decriminalization
- Viral video of Tesla driver wearing Apple Vision Pro headset raises safety concerns
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Ex-NFL quarterback Favre must finish repaying misspent welfare money, Mississippi auditor says
Super Bowl overtime rules: What to know if NFL's biggest game has tie after regulation
Whoopi Goldberg counters Jay-Z blasting Beyoncé snubs: 32 Grammys 'not a terrible number!'
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Roger Goodell pushes back on claims NFL scripted Super Bowl 58 for Taylor Swift sideshow
NLRB official rules Dartmouth men's basketball team are employees, orders union vote
Super Bowl overtime rules: What to know if NFL's biggest game has tie after regulation