Current:Home > FinancePrince William Returns to Royal Duties Amid King Charles III’s Cancer Treatment -WealthRoots Academy
Prince William Returns to Royal Duties Amid King Charles III’s Cancer Treatment
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 19:27:56
Prince William is stepping back into the spotlight.
Two days after King Charles III's cancer diagnosis was announced and one week after Kate Middleton's hospital release, the Prince of Wales returned to his royal duties.
William, who had taken a brief suspension to support his wife through her recovery from abdominal surgery, was photographed leading an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle on Feb. 7.
"Honoring amazing people doing incredible things in our communities," the couple's Instagram page captioned photos from William's outing, "up and down the country."
According to The Independent, William will also attend a fundraising gala dinner supporting London's Air Ambulance Charity later on in the evening.
In addition to returning to his own duties, royal correspondent Sharon Carpenter recently told E! News that William, if needed, would likely "step up on behalf of his father when it comes to certain engagements" amid the monarch's health battle.
And William—who shares children Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5, with Kate—is not the only member of the royal family who has rerouted his plans in midst of his father's newfound illness.
Prince Harry—who officially stepped down from royal duties in 2020—has returned to the U.K. from his home in Southern California to be by his father's side.
The palace announced Charles' diagnosis on Feb. 5 after undergoing treatment for an enlarged prostate at London Clinic late last month.
"During The King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted," their statement read. "Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer. His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties."
King Charles' cancer diagnosis comes among a slew of other health tribulations for the royal family. Read on for the latest updates.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
veryGood! (89)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Russia is waging a shadow war on the West that needs a collective response, Estonian leader says
- Mad Max 'Furiosa' review: New prequel is a snazzy action movie, but no 'Fury Road'
- Who is Jacob Zuma, the former South African president disqualified from next week’s election?
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Most of passengers from battered Singapore Airlines jetliner arrive in Singapore from Bangkok
- Man suffers significant injuries in grizzly bear attack while hunting with father in Canada
- Vatican makes fresh overture to China, reaffirms that Catholic Church is no threat to sovereignty
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Japan racks up trade deficit as imports balloon due to cheap yen
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Australia as Bangladesh vow to boost trade as foreign ministers meet in Dhaka
- Hundreds of hostages, mostly women and children, are rescued from Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria
- Get Ready to Turn Heads: The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Collection Makes Waves on Amazon
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Caitlin Clark announces endorsement deal with Wilson, maker of WNBA's official basketball
- Politically motivated crimes in Germany reached their highest level in 2023 since tracking began
- Ben Affleck Goes Out to Dinner Solo Amid Jennifer Lopez Split Rumors
Recommendation
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Russian attacks on Ukraine power grid touch Kyiv with blackouts ahead of peak demand
Rangers recover the body of a Japanese climber who died on North America’s tallest peak
Wendy's offers $3 breakfast combo as budget-conscious consumers recoil from high prices
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Toronto Blue Jays fan hit in head with 110 mph foul ball gets own Topps trading card
Most of passengers from battered Singapore Airlines jetliner arrive in Singapore from Bangkok
Is McDonald's nixing free refills? Here's what to know as chain phases out self-serve drink machines