Current:Home > ContactHolocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools -WealthRoots Academy
Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 12:42:24
NEW YORK (AP) — A Holocaust museum in New York City will offer free educational field trips to eighth grade students in public schools in a program announced Thursday aimed at combating antisemitism.
The program will allow up to 85,000 students at traditional public schools and charter schools to tour Manhattan’s Museum of Jewish Heritage over the next three years, starting this fall. New York City is the largest school district in the nation, serving more than a million students. Organizers say the museum and the new program have the capacity to host up to one-third of the district’s eighth graders each year.
City Council member Julie Menin said she raised the idea with the museum after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, in an effort to combat rising antisemitism in the U.S. Incidents targeting Jewish and Muslim Americans have been recorded across the country since the Israel-Hamas war erupted, ranging from offensive graffiti to violence.
“We needed a proactive approach to combat this hatred at its roots,” Menin, a Democrat and daughter of a Holocaust survivor, said in a statement. “That’s why I approached the Museum of Jewish Heritage with the vision of a universal field trip program.”
The effort will cost around $2.5 million, with $1 million coming from the Gray Foundation, a nonprofit backed by Blackstone CEO Jon Gray that funds other programs for New York youths, as well as cancer research. Menin said the museum will look to other sources for the rest.
The museum already offers student discounts and free admission days. The new program will cover transportation, guides and take-home materials for the eighth graders, Menin said.
The tours will focus on the global history of antisemitism and propaganda that precipitated the Holocaust, as well as offering an experience for students to reflect on current events, Menin’s statement said.
Principals will play a key role in deciding which schools will participate in the program, Menin said in a phone call. Schools can sign up through the museum website.
New York City Public Schools spokesperson Nathaniel Styer said in a statement that “programming is a school-based decision, but the funding in this announcement will help remove barriers to participation.”
In testimony before U.S. Congress earlier this month, New York City Schools Chancellor David Banks said the city had already begun rolling out new measures to combat antisemitism in schools, including developing a new curriculum “highlighting the culture and contributions of the Jewish community.”
New York schools are required to teach about the Holocaust, with explicit curriculum covering the subject beginning in eighth grade.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Murder on Music Row: Nashville police 'thanked the Lord' after miracle evidence surfaced
- Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: 50% Off Ashley Graham's Self-Tanner, Madison LeCroy's Eye Cream & More Deals
- Florida's Billy Napier dismisses criticism from 'some guy in his basement'
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- RFK Jr. must remain on the Michigan ballot, judge says
- Man found frozen in cave along Appalachian Trail identified after nearly 50 years
- Gun shops that sold weapons trafficked into Washington, DC, sued by nation’s capital and Maryland
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Bus crashes into students and parents in eastern China, killing 11 and injuring 13, police say
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- North Carolina court reverses contempt charge against potential juror who wouldn’t wear mask
- Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia of Sweden Expecting Baby No. 4
- George Clooney calls Joe Biden 'selfless' for dropping out of 2024 presidential race
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Inter Miami star Luis Suarez announces retirement from Uruguay national team
- Is your monthly Social Security benefit higher or lower than the average retiree's?
- 'One Tree Hill' reboot in development at Netflix with Sophia Bush, Hilarie Burton set to return
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
2024 US Open: Here’s how to watch on TV, betting odds and more you should know
Congo says at least 129 people died during an attempted jailbreak, most of them in a stampede
Para badminton duo wins silver for USA's first Paralympic medal in sport
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Gun shops that sold weapons trafficked into Washington, DC, sued by nation’s capital and Maryland
Body of missing Myrtle Beach woman found under firepit; South Carolina man charged: Police
1000-Lb. Sisters Star Amy Slaton Arrested for Drug Possession and Child Endangerment